Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Semla


One day I was looking for something unique and special with which to celebrate Mardi Gras and I came across an awesome blog that featured a recipe for Swedish semla, the traditional pre-Lenten treat. It was so beautiful that I just HAD to try it and I am glad that I did because it is truly a sublime not too rich just perfect kind of confection. I did modify the original recipe quite a bit, and will post soon, but here is a photo, enjoy!

Oh, this is them before the final touches were made; they are truly divine just plain with a little butter, actually. Next time I have overnight guests, I may make them for breakfast.



Semla: SOOOOOO worth it! This was adapted from a recipe from Nordstjernen located via the *fantastic* occupation: housewife blog
Ingredients for the dough:

5 tbl. unsalted butter
3/4 c. milk
1/4 c. water
1 1/2 tbl. yeast
1/2 tsp. salt
3 tbl. sugar
3 c. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. freshly ground cardamom
2 eggs, beaten

Filling:

10 oz. almond paste
1/2 c. milk
1/2 c. creme anglais
1/2 c. marscapone
powdered sugar

In a large mixing bowl, combine all dry ingredients (flour, sugar, salt, cardamom).

Melt the butter on the stove and add the milk to warm, but not so warm that you can't comfortably stick your finger in it.

Dissolve the yeast in warm enough for your finger to take a dip and let sit about 5 minutes while the butter mixture is cooling.

Add liquids (yeast + butter mix)to the flour and when difficult to stir, turn the dough out on a floured surface to knead until it is soft and supple.

Let the dough rise for an hour, covered with a damp cloth. While the dough rises, you can make the creme anglais, which is simply freshly whipped cream with vanilla extract to taste.

Then, hand roll the dough into an oversized tootsie-roll shape and with a sharp knife, cut the log into 16 sections.

Place each bun on a parchment lined cookie sheet and pre-heat your oven to 440 degrees for about 45 minutes. Meanwhile, let the buns proof.

Brush the buns with the beaten egg and bake for 10 minutes on the middle rack of the oven.

Let the buns cool until you can handle them and then slice off the tops, if you can stand "wrecking" such a glorious bun and then scoop out the soft inside dough of the bottom half and place into a small mixing bowl.

To the scooped out dough, add the almond paste, milk, creme anglais and marscapone. Then re-fill each bun-with a pastry pipe if you have one (I used a regular teaspoon)and replace the tops.

Finally, dust with powedered sugar by knocking a confectioner sugar filled seive with a fork to your heart's content and fasten your seat belt for an outrageous treat!

2 comments:

Natasha said...

Wow...they're GORGEOUS! I can't wait for you to post your modified recipe as I'm curious what you changed. You know, I just ate a huge meal but after looking at your semla, I'm craving one right now. xoxoxoxo

Jennyfriend said...

They tasted even better though! As per the recipe, the main departure is in the filling-instead of double creme I went halfsies with creme anglais and marscapone.

Then I also dissolved my yeast in water as is my preference and reduced the amount of milk accordingly.

Also, a pinch of salt became a definitive half tsp.

Hope yours turn out well and do post pics if possible! Muah!