Thursday, December 25, 2008

Christmas, again!

Well I finally made it back to Pensacola and the white wine and sumptuous little crab cakes (actually, they weren't so little)that awaited us when we walked in the door made the whole oddyssey that began in Boston in the early morning and ended over 12 hours later, instantly worthwhile.

My Mom and Dad get amazingly fresh and local seafood from Bayou La Batre; these little beauties were no different. You know I don't think I have ever had crab cakes the way they were meant to be had. Most of the time a crab cake is little more than an afterthought; sort of like something you do with leftover crab so that it's not wasted and thoroughly camouflaged by breadcrumbs and such. These were the complete opposite-I had a hard time finding anything but gorgeous lump crab meat-which interestingly enough, I historically don't like-but I suppose that's because I have an innate palatal prejudice against most foods out of season or shipped across vast distances to be on my plate.

It's really nice as usual to see my parents and spending time with my little Ava is just so so precious. But it definitely caught me off guard how wrong it feels to be here without the other half of my family, even though they have never been here before. It's really a strange feeling and one that is, I hope, in the future, a nonexistant one.

Merry Christmas! As my gift to the internet, the best recipe for the most amazing crabcakes EVER!!!!

1 lbs lump crab meat
2 eggs
2 slices fresh white bread cubed
1 tbl mayonnaise
1 tbl dijon mustard
1 tbl worcestershire sauce
1 tsp salt
ground black pepper to taste
1 tbl fresh chopped parsley
panko breadcrumbs

In a bowl, beat the eggs well and add all mayo, must, worcest, parsley, salt and pepper. Add crab and with hands or a wooden spoon, mix; when well incorporated, add bread gently. Let sit in the fridge for one hour.
Form patties and roll them in panko breadcrumbs then fry on medium high heat in butter adn olive oil, about three minutes on each side.
Serve immediately with fresh lemon or lime wedges. Or let it sit in oven at 200 degrees to serve (a bit) later.

Voila!

No comments: