Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Oysters Parmesan

I just had to sneak a rawbie with a little hotsauce.



So what you see here are not the usual oysters we get from Apalachacola, which are renowed for their, I dunno, radical excellence? They were, alas, out of them at Joe Patti's, so we got these much larger beauties from Galvaston. Not quite so local, but, hey, I was visiting Pensacola from Boston, so local enough for me.



This simple dish is de rigeur in any of the bombed out sea side steak and seafood joints along the Gulf Coast and is so ubiquitous, and relatively cheap, that we never thought to make it ourselves at home.

Well, as with most things, the homemade version was even tastier, and so this is now a New Year's tradition in the house! We make these little tasties alongside a few other tapas dishes with copious amounts of champagne. Delish! Here is the recipe:

Mix one part seasoned breadcrumbs with one part parmesan or pecorino romano. I prefer to make my own breadcrumbs with leftover bread thrown in a Cuisinart with garlic and onion powder and dried oregano flakes, but my lazier parents buy Progresso brand. Or maybe it's just that my Dad's bread is so good there are NEVER any leftovers?

Melt about some butter in the microwave or stove.

Shuck the oysters and arrange them on the broiler pan.

With a teaspoon, put some of the mixture on top and with another one, spoon on some butter.

Put them into a preheated oven at 450 degrees and leave them there until the breadcrumbs have browned, about 7 minutes.

Dad, is that right? I am writing from memory weeks after the fact! Will post a final pic soon! Muah!

1 comment:

Natasha said...

Jennyfriend, I hope you post about your Swedish semla. I would love to see photos. I wasn't going to make any, but then I read your comment and I'm kinda craving one now!